Welcome to Tanzania Women Lawyers Association (TAWLA).
This year, our organization marks its twenty-second year of campaigning and supporting women and children's rights.
Over the years, it has been our quest to ensure that TAWLAs vision and mission are carried out and our core values upheld. Some of our commendable achievements include:
1. Reaching over 2 million people by raising awareness on legal rights through media awareness campaigns both on the radio and television, and training paralegals to be better equipped to serve our communities.
2. TAWLA has provided legal aid directly to over 10,000 women and children throughout our history.
3. Directly working for legal reform in Tanzania, including giving women the right to own property with the passage of the Land Act and revising the Sexual Offenses Act to give women protection from Gender Based Violence.
4. Coordinating the Gender Land Task Force (GLTF)
5. Assisting women by promoting will writing to speed the resolution of inheritance issues as well as assisting women in probate matters.
6. Mobilizing lawyers to help vulnerable people through legal aid clinics
7. Creating a network of 450 women lawyers
TAWLA continues to provide legal aid services to women, campaign for women and children's human rights, advocate for good governance, and create forums for women lawyers to build their professional capabilities in the hopes of ensuring greater representation for women in government.
For more information on TAWLA, please see About TAWLA.